Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fun Can Be Exhausting!

Greetings humans,

Where does the time go? I can see why you all with kids are so exhausted all the time! Missy Linda took the girls home this afternoon, and I just realized how much time has passed since I wrote to you last. The last several days seem to have been a blur of the movies, Mulan and Mulan II, separated by short snatches of sleep, consumption of various shapes of chicken pieces, drinking of great quantities of strawberry flavored water and chocolate milk, vague sounds of CD's of the history of the world late into the night, lots and lots and lots of giggling and countless gazes from and into various shades of blue windows to the souls of wondrous little girls.

I don't know many little girls, except for the five little granddaughters of Missy Linda. But if all children are as dissimilar as these girls, who are actually all related to each other, it must be mystifying indeed to be a human adult. The oldest girl, Maitlyn, goes to sleep at night listening to CD's of the history of the world while reading books like The Chronicles of Narnia. Believe me when I tell you that it is very weird to awaken in the middle of the night to hear a strange, deep, male voice telling about monks who lived in caves!

Elspeth, who is the second oldest, prefers falling asleep to music----that is, if she actually did ever sleep! When a person is able to, like Elspeth can, transport herself to a magical, near-perfect, made-to-order place in her imagination, why would she want to stay around in this hum-drum place? Elspeth has such exciting pursuits upon which to muse that she cannot be bothered with banal routines such as sleep.

Some of the little girls are obsessed with dolls that look similar to me, only with legs, that they call Barbies. A couple of them seem particularly enamored of some beings that they call Dora and Diego. The youngest girl can say only a few words, but the main word she knows is "Diego." I can see that I have more to learn about you humans than I realized. I think I had better get some rest before I try to solve any more of these puzzles, don't you?


No comments: